Thursday 28 May 2009

1. What practical skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?

For definate, my professional practise has greatly improved and just my idea of what I should be doing in order to solve a problem, I think my use of research has really started to develop into a skill recently as well. My time management is ever improving and I havent felt like things have been gettin on top of me at all during this module. I also think my social skills have improved, as I feel I can now go up to anyone in the year group and ask for help/an opinion. I think it's that that's benefitted me most this module to be honest.


2. What approaches to/methods of problem solving have you developed and how have they informed your design and development process?



I have taken heavily to working on design sheets and not so much the sketchbook over this module, especially speaking from experience and I have found that working in this way helps me rapidly build up a body of work then of which I can be selective about in order of relevance. I also feel that I am taking a more practical and logical approach to problem solving in general in the means of the order I am doing things in. My hap hazard way of working is slowly being beaten out of me! which is ace.


3. what strengths can you identify in your work and how will/you capitalize on these?



I think a definate strength of mine is my illustration and layout but- the way I want to capitalize on this is by not using illustration so much - or translating these strengths typographically. Another way I want to capitalize on these strengths is by using manual print methods and other fors of surface print and hands on disciplines instead of being restricted to a screen and an inkjet/laser.



Another strength of mine that I have noticed recently is my appreciation for materials and how to use them. Next year I definately want to do my research - and get my hands on some really nice stocks and materials. I can capitalize on this one by just stocking up on stuff and collecting like i did at the start of 1st year, but with a pracitcal and informed point of view.


4. What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these more fully?

I do think im quite stubborn at times, i need to stop being as personal as i am with my work and more objective. I mean, im definately improving, but there is room for alot more improvement!

I think Im lazy too, after Ie done alot of work i seem to stop being bothered - which I want to kick up the arse in second year and totally weedle out - Im a hell of alot better than I was and im constantly learning new ways of dealing with projects but I want to be alot more active than i currently am.


5. Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?
1. fully engage and look at a problem from every angle - by doing this i would build up a bigger body of work which would be better in terms of content and probably aesthetic and produce much more professional pieces of work.
2. collect and stock up on materials - by having a library of stocks and materials I could potentially become allot more time effective and also have more to experiment with.

3. find more research sources - by finding more I would have a more widely informed topic, subject and aesthetic to deal with when embarking on a project, which would help push my design further.

4. Engage with the people around me! - I started to do this towards the tail end of the module and started to benefit from it.the group's opinions are just as valid and as good as mine, and when these ideas merge, good things happen!

5. keep stepping further out of my comfort zone, I have been using alot more type in this module than i did before and i think this is improving my work greatly, I want to look into things I previously wouldnt have acknowledged and help myself push my design!

No comments: